All of Grace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
All of Grace

An online community where believers can come and be challenged, edified and equipped with the Word of God unto every good work.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Single Men as Pastors?

Go down 
+2
LaRosa
Michael
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Michael
Administrator
Michael

Single Men as Pastors? Empty
PostSubject: Single Men as Pastors?   Single Men as Pastors? EmptyMon Jun 30, 2008 10:31 am

Hey fam,

What are your thoughts on single men being pastors? A ministry that I like very much has a young, single man as pastor, and I'm curious as to your thoughts/scriptural insights concerning this.

Thanks
Back to top Go down
LaRosa
LaRosa

PostSubject: Re: Single Men as Pastors?   Single Men as Pastors? EmptyMon Jun 30, 2008 11:04 am

i'm undecided, i really need to study 1 Tim 3 more...

of course the qualifications for overseers & deacons state that they should be the husband of one wife... and for overseers, managing their household... 1 Tim 3:5 can't be ignored... but then again, i look at my church and we have a deacon who is single (yet states they should be the husband of one wife)...

the temptation will be harder for a single pastor versus a married one... but, other than that... i dunno

i'll likely report back later after i study it some more

lj.
Back to top Go down
simply seth

simply seth

PostSubject: Re: Single Men as Pastors?   Single Men as Pastors? EmptyMon Jun 30, 2008 2:23 pm

scripture puts not restraint on single men being pastors, but even though all things are permissible, not all things are beneficial.

if it was a church where it was all men ... that would be easy, but since most churches are not men only, we must have safeguards because of the weakness of our flesh.

As a single dood ... I can never ever be a pastor.
(all praises to God) cheers
Back to top Go down
Michael
Administrator
Michael

PostSubject: Re: Single Men as Pastors?   Single Men as Pastors? EmptyMon Jun 30, 2008 2:28 pm

simply seth wrote:
scripture puts not restraint on single men being pastors, but even though all things are permissible, not all things are beneficial.

if it was a church where it was all men ... that would be easy, but since most churches are not men only, we must have safeguards because of the weakness of our flesh.

This particular ministry has a LOT of young people involved (mostly females from what I can see). I don't know if there are many older people or not, but the pastor is young, and most of the visible members are young.

They've put out some really great vids on youtube.
Back to top Go down
simply seth

simply seth

PostSubject: Re: Single Men as Pastors?   Single Men as Pastors? EmptyMon Jun 30, 2008 4:47 pm

Expositor wrote:
simply seth wrote:

This particular ministry has a LOT of young people involved (mostly females from what I can see). I don't know if there are many older people or not, but the pastor is young, and most of the visible members are young.

so should we start prayin' for a Mrs. Armstrong ? Idea
Back to top Go down
Michael
Administrator
Michael

PostSubject: Re: Single Men as Pastors?   Single Men as Pastors? EmptyMon Jun 30, 2008 5:03 pm

simply seth wrote:
Expositor wrote:
simply seth wrote:

so should we start prayin' for a Mrs. Armstrong ? Idea

My mother is Mrs. Armstrong. I'm sure she'd love your prayers, fam. Single Men as Pastors? 875627
Back to top Go down
simply seth

simply seth

PostSubject: Re: Single Men as Pastors?   Single Men as Pastors? EmptyMon Jun 30, 2008 5:06 pm

okay .. I'll pray the Lord blesses her with a new daughter-in-law Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
TwistTim

PostSubject: Re: Single Men as Pastors?   Single Men as Pastors? EmptyTue Jul 01, 2008 1:46 am

Expositor wrote:
simply seth wrote:

It would all be depentant on a few factors......

1) When you say Pastor do you mean Preacher of the Gospel or do you mean, fulfilling all the obligations of minister of God as he is commonly used today (visiting the sick, consoling peeps, etc)?
2) When you ask if a single man can do you mean should? because There are many things that can be done, they just aren't in line with the Scriptures....
3) If this is an area where the single man called into the situation would have to be around these mostly female younger peeps would he find himself attracted to several of them or would he have a barrier set up to protect himself from that?
4) would he be able to ensure he's never left alone with any of them? (even married man-of-God needs to consider that one)
5) Do you feel that God is calling mr. Single man here or is Mr. Single man wanting to be called here?
6) end of the day, it's up to Y O U or the single dude if he wants to do this... how does he feel about it when he considers all the issues?

and I'd offer him this advice:
while keeping in mind The Qualifications of a Minister in 1 Tim 3 (I've heard it that Greek can support a single, one-woman-minded man, but I'm unsure as I don't know Greek like that myself) also keep in mind 1 Thessalonians 5:22 (Abstain from every form of evil. ESV or Abstain from all appearance of evil. KJV).... and if he can do that, and answer the above questions rightly.... then maybe..... but it's still Submit to Scripture, seek Godly consul and then act....
Back to top Go down
Michael
Administrator
Michael

PostSubject: Re: Single Men as Pastors?   Single Men as Pastors? EmptyTue Jul 01, 2008 4:45 pm

Thanks, Tim.

The thing is, we don't have any Biblical examples of single men leading congregations. Everything we see in Scripture assumes that the man is married. So, if we hold to Sola Scriptura, I don't see how a single man can conclude that he is being called, in his singleness, to the pastorate.
Back to top Go down
elboogee

elboogee

PostSubject: Re: Single Men as Pastors?   Single Men as Pastors? EmptyWed Jul 02, 2008 3:59 pm

Expositor wrote:
Hey fam,

What are your thoughts on single men being pastors? A ministry that I like very much has a young, single man as pastor, and I'm curious as to your thoughts/scriptural insights concerning this.

Thanks

I smell troooouuubbbbblllleeee!

afro
Back to top Go down
phil

PostSubject: Re: Single Men as Pastors?   Single Men as Pastors? EmptyWed Jul 02, 2008 5:01 pm

yes, absolutaly

"husban of 1 wife" is a limitation to number of wives, not qualification of husbanship

paul encouraged singleness (for the sake of being christ minded), and even paul himself, as well as timothy were single (as far as we know)

the problem with a single man leading a church today in the US is not that the man is single, it's that the church has only 1 person leading

a single man can certainly be the senior leader, but nobody should be the sole leader (single or married)
Back to top Go down
Michael
Administrator
Michael

PostSubject: Re: Single Men as Pastors?   Single Men as Pastors? EmptyWed Jul 02, 2008 5:19 pm

phil wrote:
yes, absolutaly

"husban of 1 wife" is a limitation to number of wives, not qualification of husbanship

paul encouraged singleness (for the sake of being christ minded), and even paul himself, as well as timothy were single (as far as we know)

the problem with a single man leading a church today in the US is not that the man is single, it's that the church has only 1 person leading

a single man can certainly be the senior leader, but nobody should be the sole leader (single or married)

Okay, that's cool. I've heard that interpretation, but I disagree with it. I think it's about character AND husbandship. I don't think it's strictly about either/or.

But even with your understanding of the text, what about the part about having his children in subjection and him being able to run his household in order that he can adequately handle the affairs of the church? One of the qualifications is that he can rule his own house. If he is single, who does he rule over in his home?

Paul was not a pastor and we have no Biblical proof that Timothy was not married. We can say from Scripture that Paul wasn't married, but we can't Scripturally support Timothy being single. He may have been, but I don't recall any Scripture saying so explicitly.

While Paul encouraged singleness, he also gave the qualifications of bishops, elders, deacons, overseers, etc.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Single Men as Pastors?   Single Men as Pastors? Empty

Back to top Go down

Single Men as Pastors?
Page 1 of 1