All of Grace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
All of Grace

An online community where believers can come and be challenged, edified and equipped with the Word of God unto every good work.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The Myth of "Me" Time

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
B. Morr
B. Morr

The Myth of "Me" Time Empty
PostSubject: The Myth of "Me" Time   The Myth of "Me" Time EmptyMon May 05, 2008 10:34 am

The Myth of "Me-Time"
By Crystal Paine

I just finished reading a popular homemaking book over the weekend. Though I rarely read much of anything that is "popular", I had heard this particular author on a radio interview a week ago and thought her new book sounded of interest, so I ordered it from the library.

As I began reading, I found myself being motivated and inspired and starting to think, "Wow, I really like this author. She seems to have it pretty much 'altogether' -- she seems to be a great mom, a great wife, a great homemaker. I wish I could be like her."

I kept reading, and I found myself getting almost pulled into what she wrote. But, little by little, I started seeing how unbiblical it was. Yes, maybe she does have a clean home, maybe she is a great wife and mom, but do you know what almost the entire last half of the book was about? You guessed it -- "Me-Time."

We live in a self-centered culture. The mantra of most seems to be, "It's all about me." Yes, I'll admit it, the thought of having a few hours of complete quietness to just do whatever I want to do with no responsibilities whatsoever does sound enticing on occasion, but do I deserve this? Should I regularly be scheduling plenty of "Me-Time" into my life? I'm selfish, by nature, but just because something sounds good, doesn't make it right.

As Christians, we should be seeking to imitate Christ. He lived a life poured out for others. He came not to do His own will, but the will of His Heavenly Father.

Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves. Look not every man on his own things, but every man also on the things of others. Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus: Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God: But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men: And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross. Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name: That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth; And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

How contrary this is to the world's philosophy! As Elisabeth Elliott says, our whole life should be lived following Christ's example, "My life, for yours."
Back to top Go down
B. Morr
B. Morr

PostSubject: Re: The Myth of "Me" Time   The Myth of "Me" Time EmptyMon May 05, 2008 10:34 am

I won't give any background just yet.....I'd like to hear your thoughts....
Back to top Go down
Michael
Administrator
Michael

PostSubject: Re: The Myth of "Me" Time   The Myth of "Me" Time EmptyMon May 05, 2008 10:41 am

Didn't you post this somewhere else once? I remember reading this. Good stuff.
Back to top Go down
B. Morr
B. Morr

PostSubject: Re: The Myth of "Me" Time   The Myth of "Me" Time EmptyMon May 05, 2008 10:45 am

Naw, I sent it to you. But I have no idea why I haven't posted it til now.
Back to top Go down
B. Morr
B. Morr

PostSubject: Re: The Myth of "Me" Time   The Myth of "Me" Time EmptyMon May 05, 2008 11:10 am

Definitely something to think about.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Myth of "Me" Time   The Myth of "Me" Time Empty

Back to top Go down

The Myth of "Me" Time
Page 1 of 1