All of Grace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
All of Grace

An online community where believers can come and be challenged, edified and equipped with the Word of God unto every good work.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Do Calvinist witness?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
JohnnyPraze

Do Calvinist witness? Empty
PostSubject: Do Calvinist witness?   Do Calvinist witness? EmptyWed Jun 04, 2008 5:56 pm

I once heard someone say "Calvinist don't witness" based upon what a Calvinist told them. Since God has elected, there is no need to witness, as they are pre-destined. (I know they need to hear the soul saving Gospel, and if no one witnessed, how would they hear...)

However...
I wasn't there when the conversation went down, but something was said along the lines of, "Since we don't know who the elect are, we could be lying If we said Jesus died for you, when witnessing". This is why the conclusion was drawn that Calvinist don't witness.

For the Calvinist brethren, how do you witness? What do you say, what don't you say?
Back to top Go down
Michael
Administrator
Michael

PostSubject: Re: Do Calvinist witness?   Do Calvinist witness? EmptyWed Jun 04, 2008 6:27 pm

JohnnyPraze wrote:
I once heard someone say "Calvinist don't witness" based upon what a Calvinist told them. Since God has elected, there is no need to witness, as they are pre-destined. (I know they need to hear the soul saving Gospel, and if no one witnessed, how would they hear...)

However...
I wasn't there when the conversation went down, but something was said along the lines of, "Since we don't know who the elect are, we could be lying If we said Jesus died for you, when witnessing". This is why the conclusion was drawn that Calvinist don't witness.

For the Calvinist brethren, how do you witness? What do you say, what don't you say?

That person was most likely a Hyper-Calvinist. Hyper-Calvinism is heretical as it removes all human responsibility. The Bible teaches both God's Sovereignty and man's responsibility. To reject either is heretical.

All Christians are to be witnesses of our Lord. We witness with the glory of God as our main priority, as it should be for all who evangelize.

God not only elected people, but He also elected the means by which they would be saved. If a person doesn't have a desire to witness to lost souls, I can tell you that that person is not a Christian at all.

Spurgeon (a Calvinist) said this about evangelism:
Quote :

Our Saviour has bidden us to preach the gospel to every creature; he has not said, “Preach it only to the elect;” and though that might seem to be the most logical thing for us to do, yet, since he has not been pleased to stamp the elect in their foreheads, or to put any distinctive mark upon them, it would be an impossible task for us to perform; whereas, when we preach the gospel to every creature, the gospel makes its own division, and Christ’s sheep hear his voice, and follow him.
Back to top Go down
elboogee

elboogee

PostSubject: Re: Do Calvinist witness?   Do Calvinist witness? EmptyWed Jun 04, 2008 7:41 pm

Ditto 2 Mike.

I struggled with this issue when I first became reformed (last year).

a friend of mine sent me this sermon by Piper about the Christians responsibility to share the gospel with people. It talks about being midwives in the process of conversion.

I feel very strongly about witnessing and I have been praying for a heavier burden and God-given conviction for evangelism. My goal is to talk to one person a day about Christ. I'm always nervous and I always want to chicken-out. Most times I do. But the more I practice talking about Jesus- the easier it will become, so I am committed to persevere.

So here's the sermon Fam

http://www.desiringgod.org/ResourceLibrary/Sermons/ByDate/2008/2711/

To God be the glory cheers
Back to top Go down
TwistTim

PostSubject: Re: Do Calvinist witness?   Do Calvinist witness? EmptyWed Jun 04, 2008 11:37 pm

Ditto to the Dittoing of Mike, and Ditto also to Elboogee..... let me point you to yet another John Piper Sermon outline to read.... this one is on the Topic of "My Heart's Desire" and it's about in light of Reformed Theology should we witness at all? the answer is yes..... and it's a good solid read...... check it out bro.

http://www.desiringgod.org/ResourceLibrary/Sermons/ByDate/1986/473_My_Hearts_Desire_That_They_Might_Be_Saved/

Notice the Date on that one?!?! 1986..... it's just a few years younger than me, but still as far as sermons go that baby has Golden Oldie written all over it..... nice to see he has changed His message in all this time, because he hasn't needed to......
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Do Calvinist witness?   Do Calvinist witness? Empty

Back to top Go down

Do Calvinist witness?
Page 1 of 1