All of Grace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
All of Grace

An online community where believers can come and be challenged, edified and equipped with the Word of God unto every good work.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The Prayers that Sandwich Preaching

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Michael
Administrator
Michael

The Prayers that Sandwich Preaching Empty
PostSubject: The Prayers that Sandwich Preaching   The Prayers that Sandwich Preaching EmptyMon Jun 02, 2008 12:53 am

Quote :
May 29, 2008

Some thoughts on public prayers before and after preaching:

1) I don’t always pray publicly at the beginning of a sermon.

On reflection, my final decision is influenced by several factors:
a) Has the preaching only just been prayed for? If so, I probably don’t need to repeat it.
b) Is there a particular need for focus? With a lot of commotion - musicians still leaving the stage, congregational chatting(!) or a boisterous song beforehand - it can be good to pray to settle things down and lay down a ‘marker’ introducing a new phase of the service.
c) How much time do I have?

2) The opening prayer, if any, should be brief and probably well prepared.

Obviously, not the place to ramble! Beware: don’t introduce your sermon in the prayer!

3) I tend to always close with a prayer, precisely because I want the congregation to finish by connecting with God, not with me.

Since it is God that they (and I) now have to contend with because of the message, leading in a follow up prayer helps everyone get started. Sometimes I pre-prepare this final prayer. More often, I go extemporaneous. I find that I’m so ‘in the flow’ after preaching that prayer comes easily.

4) Typically, most congregations will close the service with a benediction after the final song.

Always check this beforehand if you are a visiting preaching. Ask: how does your service normally conclude? Its worth deciding on your benediction beforehand, putting a marker in your bible etc, rather than scuffling around during the final song.

Taken from: http://unashamedworkman.wordpress.com/
Back to top Go down
TrueConvert

TrueConvert

The Prayers that Sandwich Preaching Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Prayers that Sandwich Preaching   The Prayers that Sandwich Preaching EmptyMon Jun 02, 2008 6:39 am

Good stuff. I was wondering when I first started attending my Church why someone prays after the reading of the Word and then my Pastor comes right up and we pray again; However, the content of those prayers typically differ greatly, hence I see the benefit of both prayers obviously. As long as they're brief it's good. I've heard Piper pray something like "Lord bless your Word and your people; In Jesus' name." I thought "brilliant brevity!"
Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1