All of Grace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
All of Grace

An online community where believers can come and be challenged, edified and equipped with the Word of God unto every good work.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Unfruitful convos at work

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
elboogee

elboogee

Unfruitful convos at work Empty
PostSubject: Unfruitful convos at work   Unfruitful convos at work EmptySat Mar 08, 2008 7:58 pm

Not too long ago, I was at my place of employment when a few of my coworkers gathered together to discuss - of all topics- you've guessed it.... "Why they believe Jesus is not God".

The lead coworker who was most adamant is a Muslim. I came into the discussion midway-and instead of jumping and declaring the deity of Christ- I let them continue in their folly-got my photocopies and bounced

It just seemed unwise to me. It seemed as if I would be putting myself in a discussion where ultimately Christ would not be glorified (so whats the point of my $0.02). I also felt that I did not know how to clearly and effectively make a case for Christ without getting doctrinal slaughtered by my Muslim coworker.

Although I have studied in the past what I would say if I was in those kind of situations, this one in particular caught me off guard.

Ok- now the question

Staying silent in the midst of a religious conversation that I felt would only turn into an argument or make me (the Christian) look stupid

Good move- or Bad move?
Back to top Go down
smoke

smoke

Unfruitful convos at work Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unfruitful convos at work   Unfruitful convos at work EmptySun Mar 09, 2008 10:46 pm

i feel you. i've been in similar situations, where the other person knew more about what they believe than i did, or they'd say something that i've never heard, so i really didn't want to go back and forth with them. But those situations also make me go back and study more.

Scripture tells us that we should be "...prepared to make a defense," and that it should be done with "...gentleness and respect." (1 Peter 3:15) So if done rightly it shouldn't cause an unnecessary argument.

so to answer your question i'd just say to use that situation as an opportunity to study up on whatever your co-worker was talking about. and maybe the subject will come up again (since you work with them), and then you'd be able to give them an answer.
Back to top Go down

Unfruitful convos at work
Page 1 of 1