All of Grace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
All of Grace

An online community where believers can come and be challenged, edified and equipped with the Word of God unto every good work.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

1 Thessalonians 4:1-8

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
str8wisdom

str8wisdom

1 Thessalonians 4:1-8 Empty
PostSubject: 1 Thessalonians 4:1-8   1 Thessalonians 4:1-8 EmptyFri May 08, 2009 12:40 pm

Quote :
A Life Pleasing to God

4:1 Finally, then, brothers, we ask and urge you in the Lord Jesus, that as you received from us how you ought to walk and to please God, just as you are doing, that you do so more and more. 2 For you know what instructions we gave you through the Lord Jesus. 3 For this is the will of God, your sanctification: that you abstain from sexual immorality; 4 that each one of you know how to control his own body in holiness and honor, 5 not in the passion of lust like the Gentiles who do not know God; 6 that no one transgress and wrong his brother in this matter, because the Lord is an avenger in all these things, as we told you beforehand and solemnly warned you. 7 For God has not called us for impurity, but in holiness. 8 Therefore whoever disregards this, disregards not man but God, who gives his Holy Spirit to you.

My first question with this section of verses is verse 6. To me this verse doesn't seem to fit in. It is like he changes and starts talking about something different. And also in verse 8 what is "this" refering to? Is it talking about living holy and abstaining from sexual immorality? Can we put wronging a brother in this as well?

These are the verses I am teaching on in Sunday School so I want a good understanding of them to help me teach.

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Jewel

Jewel

1 Thessalonians 4:1-8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 1 Thessalonians 4:1-8   1 Thessalonians 4:1-8 EmptyFri May 08, 2009 4:10 pm

I'm no biblical scholar, but I think verse 6 is talking about sexual impurities as well as doing evil things against our neighbors "as the heathens do". I believe the overall verses is telling us to be totally set apart and not to behave like the heathens he referred to in verse 5. I'm sure its alot deeper then that, but that's what I got out of it. There...my two cents are spent. Enjoy the weekend.
Back to top Go down

1 Thessalonians 4:1-8
Page 1 of 1