All of Grace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
All of Grace

An online community where believers can come and be challenged, edified and equipped with the Word of God unto every good work.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Mat2:23,which prophet said this?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Chema

Chema

Mat2:23,which prophet said this? Empty
PostSubject: Mat2:23,which prophet said this?   Mat2:23,which prophet said this? EmptyMon Jul 14, 2008 12:28 pm

Matthew 2:23
23and he went and lived in a town called Nazareth. So was fulfilled what was said through the prophets: "He will be called a Nazarene."

Do you know which one of the prophets said the prophecy in red?? (there is no concordance in the NIV about it)
Back to top Go down
Michael
Administrator
Michael

PostSubject: Re: Mat2:23,which prophet said this?   Mat2:23,which prophet said this? EmptyMon Jul 14, 2008 12:59 pm

Chema wrote:
Matthew 2:23
23and he went and lived in a town called Nazareth. So was fulfilled what was said through the prophets: "He will be called a Nazarene."

Do you know which one of the prophets said the prophecy in red?? (there is no concordance in the NIV about it)

I would say Isaiah and Zechariah. Peep Isaiah 11:1

Quote :
There shall come forth a rod out of the stem of Jesse, and a branch shall grow out of his roots

In the Hebrew idiom, it would be written thusly:

"There shall come forth a rod out of the root of Jesse and a Nazarene shall grow from his root"

Here in Zechariah 6:12, we see the Messiah referred to as a man named Branch (not Duce):

Quote :
Zec 6:12 And speak unto him, saying, Thus speaketh the LORD of hosts, saying, Behold the man whose name [is] The BRANCH; and he shall grow up out of his place, and he shall build the temple of the LORD:

Zec 6:13 Even he shall build the temple of the LORD; and he shall bear the glory, and shall sit and rule upon his throne; and he shall be a priest upon his throne: and the counsel of peace shall be between them both.

It says He would branch out from where He is. Where was Jesus from? He was from Nazareth. But, Nazarene mustn't be confused with Nazarite which some have done.

Easton's Bible Dictionary tells us this about the word "Nazareth":

Quote :
"Nazareth: separated, generally supposed to be the Greek form of the Hebrew netser, a "shoot" or "sprout.""

So, to be a Nazarene would also speak of Christ being "despised and rejected by men" as Isaiah put it in Isaiah 53.

Quote :
"For He grew up before Him like a tender shoot, And like a root out of parched ground; He has no stately form or majesty That we should look upon Him, Nor appearance that we should be attracted to Him. He was despised and forsaken of men, A man of sorrows and acquainted with grief; And like one from whom men hide their face He was despised, and we did not esteem Him." Isaiah 53:2-3

Anyway, that was a long way to say that it's found in at least Isaiah and Zechariah.

But there are also many scriptures in the OT that speak of the branch.
Back to top Go down
Chema

Chema

PostSubject: Re: Mat2:23,which prophet said this?   Mat2:23,which prophet said this? EmptyMon Jul 14, 2008 2:19 pm

Wow.. thanks a lot, expo.. well.. I can say it makes sense.. since the text say:

"by the PROPHETS", not as in any other prophecy fulfilled by Christ that say "as said by the prophet"...
tho', someone replied (on other forum) that there is no OT script to back it up (according to Johnny Mac commentary).. I might have to check the apocrypha...

Once again, thanks!

God bless you.... when I grow up, I wanna be like you.. oh.. wait.. I am OLDER than you.. LOL

oh, and LOL at "...Branch (not Duce)" lol!
Back to top Go down
Michael
Administrator
Michael

PostSubject: Re: Mat2:23,which prophet said this?   Mat2:23,which prophet said this? EmptyMon Jul 14, 2008 2:25 pm

Chema wrote:
Wow.. thanks a lot, expo.. well.. I can say it makes sense.. since the text say:

"by the PROPHETS", not as in any other prophecy fulfilled by Christ that say "as said by the prophet"...
tho', someone replied (on other forum) that there is no OT script to back it up (according to Johnny Mac commentary).. I might have to check the apocrypha...

Once again, thanks!

God bless you.... when I grow up, I wanna be like you.. oh.. wait.. I am OLDER than you.. LOL

oh, and LOL at "...Branch (not Duce)" lol!

Well, Johnny Mac can be wrong, too!!! LOL.

Matthew 2:23 isn't a direct quote from a prophet, but it's derived from a collection of words by prophets.

No need to mess around with the apocrypha. Much of the history isn't right. It's probably just better to stick with Sola Scriptura.
Back to top Go down
Chema

Chema

PostSubject: Re: Mat2:23,which prophet said this?   Mat2:23,which prophet said this? EmptyMon Jul 14, 2008 3:52 pm

Expositor wrote:

Yeap.. that's what I came to mind..

Expositor wrote:

Matthew 2:23 isn't a direct quote from a prophet, but it's derived from a collection of words by prophets.

No need to mess around with the apocrypha. Much of the history isn't right. It's probably just better to stick with Sola Scriptura.

thanks for the advice.. but I thought about it because I once read (I believe someone posted about it on HCR) that Jude quoted the "Book of Enoch", so I wondered if it was a quote from apocrypha...
Back to top Go down
btate0121

btate0121

PostSubject: Re: Mat2:23,which prophet said this?   Mat2:23,which prophet said this? EmptyTue Jul 15, 2008 2:03 pm

mike.. lose my number.... smh

*grumble* jonny mac can be WRONG?!?!... what is this guy THINKING.... *grumble*

LOL
Back to top Go down
simply seth

simply seth

PostSubject: Re: Mat2:23,which prophet said this?   Mat2:23,which prophet said this? EmptyTue Jul 15, 2008 2:51 pm

Expositor wrote:

BLASFEMIA ! Shocked Shocked
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mat2:23,which prophet said this?   Mat2:23,which prophet said this? Empty

Back to top Go down

Mat2:23,which prophet said this?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
All of Grace :: The Gathering Place :: General Discussion-
Jump to: