All of Grace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
All of Grace

An online community where believers can come and be challenged, edified and equipped with the Word of God unto every good work.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Imprecatory Prayers

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Jewel

Jewel

Imprecatory Prayers Empty
PostSubject: Imprecatory Prayers   Imprecatory Prayers EmptyFri May 23, 2008 10:21 am

I was listening to (yes) WOTM this morning, and they were debating about Imprecatory Prayers - Prayers that ask God to inflict His wrath on our enemies. Let's take a look at Psalms 10:12-18: Imprecatory Prayers 946179

10He croucheth, and humbleth himself, that the poor may fall by his strong ones.

11He hath said in his heart, God hath forgotten: he hideth his face; he will never see it.

12Arise, O LORD; O God, lift up thine hand: forget not the humble.

13Wherefore doth the wicked contemn God? he hath said in his heart, Thou wilt not require it.

14Thou hast seen it; for thou beholdest mischief and spite, to requite it with thy hand: the poor committeth himself unto thee; thou art the helper of the fatherless.

15Break thou the arm of the wicked and the evil man: seek out his wickedness till thou find none. Imprecatory Prayers 637921

16The LORD is King for ever and ever: the heathen are perished out of his land.

17LORD, thou hast heard the desire of the humble: thou wilt prepare their heart, thou wilt cause thine ear to hear:

18To judge the fatherless and the oppressed, that the man of the earth may no more oppress.

How about Psalms 35? Imprecatory Prayers 946179

1Plead my cause, O LORD, with them that strive with me: fight against them that fight against me.

2Take hold of shield and buckler, and stand up for mine help.

3Draw out also the spear, and stop the way against them that persecute me: say unto my soul, I am thy salvation.

4Let them be confounded and put to shame that seek after my soul: let them be turned back and brought to confusion that devise my hurt.

Hmmm... let's continue:

5Let them be as chaff before the wind: and let the angel of the LORD chase them.

6Let their way be dark and slippery: and let the angel of the LORD persecute them.

I guess you get my point. Psalms is LOADED with prayers like this, where David prayed for God to hurt his enemies. Now we, as Christians, have enemies (i.e. - people who rape and kill our people and those that commit abortions, etc).

My question is: Should we be praying that God will, "break the arm" of our enemies? scratch
Back to top Go down
Michael
Administrator
Michael

Imprecatory Prayers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Imprecatory Prayers   Imprecatory Prayers EmptyFri May 23, 2008 10:46 am

I think this is a place where we have to be careful. As people who desire to see the glory of God, and see Him vindicated, I think we do look for His enemies to be made His footstool. But, it's not so much because of hatred for them, but to see God glorified in their destruction.

But, on the other side, we should be praying for them, that perhaps God would grant them repentance, as He did with us. We were also once enemies of God.

When the cyclone hit in Myanmar, I had mixed feelings. I still do. Part of me is really concerned for the safety and welfare of those who were displaced and also lost loved ones. But, another part is glad to see that God is still "revealing his wrath against all unrighteousness." Myanmar, or Burma as we usually call it, is VERY hostile in their treatment of Christians in that nation. Many of our brothers and sisters are either locked up, being tortured (or both) or have been killed for their faith in Christ.

The same type of feelings hit me with the earthquake in China. Concerned and compassionate toward those left behind, and prayerful concerning them, but I also realize how the Chinese government treats Christians.

I've been reading and getting involved with Voice of the Martyrs for about the last two years. Each month they send out a newsletter, detailing the things that are happening to our brothers and sisters worldwide and offering ways we can help them. There have been many times that I have been brought to my knees, weeping, sobbing and asking God to give me the same courage and strong faith.

So, for my brothers and sisters in Burma and China, I'm thankful for God's judgment. They've been suffering for a long time. Perhaps this is God's way of showing them that He still cares for them deeply and will not let injustice go on forever. He will eventually rescue each one of us from the wickedness of the world. That's great encouragement.

I don't pray specifically against any particular enemy of God. However, I do pray that Christ be glorified and that all those who reject Him would receive their just penalty. When Christ returns and brings judgment upon the world, the saints will be rejoicing.

But, again, I think we have to be careful with our feelings.
Back to top Go down

Imprecatory Prayers
Page 1 of 1