All of Grace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
All of Grace

An online community where believers can come and be challenged, edified and equipped with the Word of God unto every good work.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

A Game of Moral Dilemmas

Go down 
+2
Michael
B. Morr
6 posters
AuthorMessage
B. Morr
B. Morr

A Game of Moral Dilemmas Empty
PostSubject: A Game of Moral Dilemmas   A Game of Moral Dilemmas EmptyThu Jan 31, 2008 7:42 am

Thought I'd try out one of the scruples questions (from my Sunday School class) on this here board. It should probably go faster since there are less people. This time we actually wanna get into the question.....so....share your thoughts. Remember, you're INITIAL answer starts with a YES, NO or DEPENDS......THEN you can share commentary. Please answer the question first though.

It’s your 1st day at a new school where you don’t know anyone. You befriend someone who claims Christianity and talk to them everyday for 2 weeks. After 2 weeks, they admit to being openly homosexual. Do you stay friends with them?

confused
Back to top Go down
Michael
Administrator
Michael

PostSubject: Re: A Game of Moral Dilemmas   A Game of Moral Dilemmas EmptyThu Jan 31, 2008 10:28 am

Yes.

I'd stay friends with them because I am sure that pretty much all their lives they have been told by someone that homosexuality is wrong. All the usual things: 1) It's unnatural 2) It's an abomination 3) God hates homosexuality

All of those things are absolutely true. However, if I was to walk away from this person because I found out they were gay, I'd be just another judgmental Christian who hates homosexuals, at least in their mind.

Staying friends with this person would allow them to see the love of Christ. As a friend, who genuinely cares for another friend, I would be able to eventually show them how their sin condemns them before a holy God, even without addressing the homosexuality specifically. Of course, I'm pretty sure they'll ask about it themselves (because internally they do know it's wrong because of the law written on their hearts), but it doesn't have to be the focal point for me.

If we look at sinners as a tree, we'd see that trees have many branches. One branch may be lying. Another might be murder. Perhaps yet another could be fornication. Another may be homosexuality.

But the problem isn't with the branches. The branches are merely the offspring of the root. The root is the sin nature. If you attack the branches, they're going to grow back. The axe needs to be laid at the root of the tree. When that happens, the branches will eventually fall off. But, as long as the root is strong, so will the branches be.

Homosexuals have lived a good portion of their lives attempting to suppress their natural, sinful, homosexual desires. The world tells them it's wrong. The church tells them it's wrong. The conscience internally screams to them that it's wrong. However, their sin nature causes them to act out this way.

After living lives of so much suppression, when they finally come out of the closet, and they are able to publicly embrace their sexuality, now it becomes precious to them. As they gain more and more social acceptance, they no longer see their homosexuality as a thing that needs to be repented of, but a thing to be celebrated. Like a mother with a newborn child, the homosexual and his homosexuality are inseparable.

So, imagine trying to get a homosexual to leave his lifestyle simply because you say it's wrong. Homosexuality is a branch. Gotta kill the root. He needs to know that all of his other sin condemns him, and not just the homosexual sin. Then, he needs to know about the glorious Savior who will wash away ALL of his sin and give him a new heart with new desires, if he will repent of his sin and place his faith in Jesus Christ for salvation.

Oh wow. Didn't mean to type so much.

Yes, I'd still be his friend.
Back to top Go down
B. Morr
B. Morr

PostSubject: Re: A Game of Moral Dilemmas   A Game of Moral Dilemmas EmptyThu Jan 31, 2008 12:08 pm

Mike.... Neutral
Back to top Go down
Michael
Administrator
Michael

PostSubject: Re: A Game of Moral Dilemmas   A Game of Moral Dilemmas EmptyThu Jan 31, 2008 12:09 pm

What? Stop crying...lol. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
B. Morr
B. Morr

PostSubject: Re: A Game of Moral Dilemmas   A Game of Moral Dilemmas EmptyThu Jan 31, 2008 12:16 pm

Come on, dude! lol!
Back to top Go down
TEDDY P

TEDDY P

PostSubject: Re: A Game of Moral Dilemmas   A Game of Moral Dilemmas EmptyThu Jan 31, 2008 2:55 pm

YES. LOL. I don't see the problem too much with remaining friends. Especially considering that some of my other friends aren't gay, but openly display their sinfulness for all to see in other ways (cussing, fornication, idolatry, etc.). I was just telling Benton to pray for me because there is a homosexual girl in my class that wants to work on her paper with me. I didn't turn her down because she was gay, but I gladly accepted because it's my chance to give her the gospel.
Back to top Go down
B. Morr
B. Morr

PostSubject: Re: A Game of Moral Dilemmas   A Game of Moral Dilemmas EmptyMon Feb 04, 2008 5:42 pm

Anyone else?
Back to top Go down
str8wisdom

str8wisdom

PostSubject: Re: A Game of Moral Dilemmas   A Game of Moral Dilemmas EmptyMon Feb 04, 2008 6:29 pm

I would stay friends with them. We need to think why that person is the way they are. Of course we are all depraved but their life might be surrounded with people who claim to be christian and live opposite of the Bible. This opens a great opportunity for you to present them with the truth. We are not called to evangelize and witness to those that are well but to those that are sick, and that includes allot of people who call themselves christian. What does it do for that person if you just walk away and leave them because of their sin. Wes also hit on something very important.
Quote :
Especially considering that some of my other friends aren't gay, but openly display their sinfulness for all to see in other ways (cussing, fornication, idolatry, etc.).
We as christians put a degree on sin, when God doesn't. We look at different sins as being worse than others and I pray that the Lord helps us not to do that anymore. Is a person that openly gossips about others more in sin than this person who openly says they are homosexual?
Back to top Go down
btate0121

btate0121

PostSubject: Re: A Game of Moral Dilemmas   A Game of Moral Dilemmas EmptyTue Feb 05, 2008 3:15 pm

yes....

contact would be mainly away from a public arena.... and no sleepovers.....

na.. i'm buggin.. but honestly yeah.. i've HAD "friends with alternative sexual preferences". I think you can't make much of a change standing on the other side of the room pointing fingers and being snotty!
Back to top Go down
Jewel

Jewel

PostSubject: Re: A Game of Moral Dilemmas   A Game of Moral Dilemmas EmptyTue Feb 05, 2008 3:28 pm

Maybe.

Friendship is a strong word. In today's age, we throw the word "Friend" around like its nothing. No In this world, we shouldn't have A LOT of friends. I mean, to me, the word "Friend" means someone who I trust with my secrets, someone who I trust to get spiritual advice from and I know I can give them advice and they will consider it. A friend is someone who is traveling on the same or parallel street that I am, whose ultimate goal and desire is pleasing Christ. A friend is someone that I don't mind being yoked to.

So...the reason I say "maybe" is because there is NO WAY I would call this person my "friend" because, while they're still in the "acquaintance" stage, I would have found out that they were NOT on the same or parallel street as me, and I would make sure to keep that relationship at somewhat of a distance.

However, I wouldn't stop associating with them.
Back to top Go down
B. Morr
B. Morr

PostSubject: Re: A Game of Moral Dilemmas   A Game of Moral Dilemmas EmptyTue Feb 05, 2008 3:38 pm

Jewel wrote:
Maybe.

Friendship is a strong word. In today's age, we throw the word "Friend" around like its nothing. No In this world, we shouldn't have A LOT of friends. I mean, to me, the word "Friend" means someone who I trust with my secrets, someone who I trust to get spiritual advice from and I know I can give them advice and they will consider it. A friend is someone who is traveling on the same or parallel street that I am, whose ultimate goal and desire is pleasing Christ. A friend is someone that I don't mind being yoked to.

So...the reason I say "maybe" is because there is NO WAY I would call this person my "friend" because, while they're still in the "acquaintance" stage, I would have found out that they were NOT on the same or parallel street as me, and I would make sure to keep that relationship at somewhat of a distance.

However, I wouldn't stop associating with them.

WOW....very interesting thoughts, Jewel. It seems like everyone else would draw closer to this person, while you would actually remain a safe distance while still associating with them (if I'm wrong, please correct me). But that is a very interesting though. Anyone else?
Back to top Go down
Jewel

Jewel

PostSubject: Re: A Game of Moral Dilemmas   A Game of Moral Dilemmas EmptyTue Feb 05, 2008 4:05 pm

B. Morr wrote:

WOW....very interesting thoughts, Jewel. It seems like everyone else would draw closer to this person, while you would actually remain a safe distance while still associating with them (if I'm wrong, please correct me). But that is a very interesting though. Anyone else?

Exactly! I think we need to be ever so careful, when we are INTRODUCED to someone, that we don't become yoked with that person too soon...even if they claim to be saved. Just because a person is saved doesn't necessarily mean that they are on the same road as you, which can distract you from what you need to be doing. Again, I'll say, we really shouldn't have too many FRIENDS. Sure...we can have lots of acquaintances...but friends...should be limited. I have a lot of EXTREMELY close acquaintances, but I think I only have one real friend. And that's not a bad thing at all. It keeps me from getting distracted. I do desire to add a friend or two to that list, but its not a priority of mine. I'm satisfied.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A Game of Moral Dilemmas   A Game of Moral Dilemmas Empty

Back to top Go down

A Game of Moral Dilemmas
Page 1 of 1