All of Grace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
All of Grace

An online community where believers can come and be challenged, edified and equipped with the Word of God unto every good work.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Help...Please

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Aisha

Aisha

Help...Please Empty
PostSubject: Help...Please   Help...Please EmptyFri Feb 08, 2008 12:35 am

Whats good family?

I just thought I would share and ask for your prayers and advice on a matter. Some of you that are familiar with me, either personally, or by reading some of my posts, know that I attend PBU (Philadelphia Biblical University). My expectations were great and I was hopeful as a prospective and new student. Quickly, I learned that just because there are people who attend a Biblical University, does not warrant them as true converts, or maturity in the faith. Some people were made to go by their parents, have recently came to know the Lord, attend b/c its the closest school to their home...whatever case scenario may be, there are many people, saved and unsaved, discipled and undiscipled, that gather together daily in classroom settings to learn of the Word of God.

Ok, to the point. There is a dire need of accountability and discipleship on campus. I am not excluded. The "problem" is this, no one recognizes it. Or at least, no one is proactive about it. I am not excluded. (btw, I use "no one" loosely. I am referring to the small communities that are predominately african american that I identify with).

As I build relationships and trust among the females, its been pressed upon my heart and theirs, to form small group studies with the purpose to dig in the Scriptures and also tackle the issue of biblical womanhood; to begin to develop the things which are proper for sound doctrine, reverence, discreetness, chasteness homemakers, how to love their husbands and children...how to be a godly woman and cultivate a high esteem for the Scriptures that it may permeate every aspect of our lives. We need it.

My concern is, I recognize it, and it scares me as I feel ill-equipped and unqualified to initiate such an endeavor. Im still struggling and wrestling with these very things. The picture is foggy to me as well. But the other option is to let all of us try to fumble our way through these early years of womanhood and not say a word.

Family, the responsibility is great. The task is great. Im asking for your prayers. That the Lord may do what seems impossible to me, and give me the patience, the courage, the strength, the diligence, the understanding, the application, the grace, the protection from myself, from pride, from a false sense of self-sufficiency. I understand that we do not serve a feeble God, but the One who is able to equip us for every good work, completing the work He purposed. Pray my trust and belief in Him.

There are actually 2 different studies forming. One on Ruth and the other is almost an "intro to the Bible" type study. Ruth is with the girls on campus and the other is a long distance phone study. (Lord help me!)

Family, I need your prayers. Im feeling mad inadequate (because I am), but burdened, privileged and almost obligated.

I will def. keep you all updated.

Much Love,
Aisha
Back to top Go down
Jewel

Jewel

Help...Please Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help...Please   Help...Please EmptyFri Feb 08, 2008 10:00 am

Hey, Aisha. I just read an article from Candace Cameron Bure (sister of Kurt Cameron - Way of the Master) who was answering women's questions...whatever they may be, on a Christian's Women website. It was EXTREMELY interesting as Candace was very candid and straightforward, which I'm all about (as you well know). Anyway, a young lady asked the very same question. She wanted to start a Bible Study but felt very ill-equipped. I'll post the article below, but also give you the website, as you may enjoy reading the Question and Answers on other topics. Hope this helps: http://www.christianwomenonline.net/candidcandace.html

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Q-I just started a Bible study group (women only) at my home. I read that you are in a weekly Bible study group, so I wondered if you could give me some suggestions on what materials would be good to use with our Bible study?

How does your bible study group work? This is new for me and I kind of lead it, so I didn't know if I should get a Bible study book to go with what book of the Bible we would study, or if there is a better option.

Also, could you recommend any books of the Bible that would be good to read for our study group? I appreciate any information.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

A- You have amazing options, and a ton of choices in how you'd like to lead your study. Our group has done it several different ways over the years and I don't know that one stands out for me over another. I've learned so much from each one, and every style had a uniqueness that made it special--it's probably because it's the Bible--the most interesting, exciting, and active book you'll ever read!

I don't know how well you know your Bible--and this may determine how you lead your study. If you're a beginner I suggest your group studies off of a "Bible study" book. There are several choices at local Christian book stores, or online at www.lifeway.com.
You may want to start with a study on the book of John. John--not to be confused with John the Baptist--is commonly considered Jesus' closest friend. You'll be familiar with the new testament stories, but you'll have a more intimate look at who Jesus is as only a best friend could share.

Each girl should purchase the Bible study book, and complete one chapter per week at home. At the start of each study, begin with prayer then go through the questions you answered from the week and discuss them. A lot of great conversation will stem from this.

If you want to jump into the BEST bible study (in my opinion), your group will have to shell out a few dollars to chip in for Beth Moore's Daniel study. This is a DVD set along with a Bible study guide book. I love Beth Moore's style and enthusiasm. I've never retained as much information as I did from this study because she's that good! It also comes with a teacher's guide (that'd be for you!) to help in instructing and moving the group along in a timely format.

If you don't want any money involved to purchase books or DVD's, you can choose a book of the Bible and go through line by line or chapter by chapter. Here are a few questions to ask yourself and look for when reading the scriptures to help dig in.

1. Is there an example to follow?
2. A command to obey?
3. A sin to avoid?
4. A promise to keep?

Currently, we are doing this style of study on 1 Peter. We chose 1 Peter, not only because it's a great book, but also because it's short. This type of study involves a lot of time to really dig in, look up definitions, and use a concordance to reference other scriptures. This is a wonderful way to study, but I must say it helps to have someone who's knowledgeable and familiar with the Bible. I don't think my group could study this way if it weren't for our leader Debbie. She's awesome!

Since this is your first small group and you're heading it up, I suggest you choose a Bible study book or DVD set and pick a topic of interest for your whole group. You can study a book of the Bible or a topic of interest like being a godly wife, parenting, overcoming strongholds etc. As the leader, go to your bookstore or online, and choose 3 study guides to suggest. Vote on which study the group would like to do, then have each person purchase their own book.

You'll be blessed in your efforts to study the Bible! And don't be surprised at your rapid growth in your walk with Christ.

Candice
Back to top Go down
B. Morr
B. Morr

Help...Please Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help...Please   Help...Please EmptyFri Feb 08, 2008 12:29 pm

Well, well, well.....look at 'ole DJ Tanner!

Charaya - GREAT POST!

Aisha - have you ever heard of www.biblicalwomanhood.com ? Crystal Paine is a BEAST. I know I don't belong on there (cause I'm a dude) but this woman KILLS it talking about contentment with God. She's got this article called "The Myth of 'Me' Time." Uggghhh.....straight conviction. Check it out. It might help with your small groups.

Also, check out her articles that she has that are to encourage young ladies like yourself.
http://www.biblicalwomanhood.com/articles.htm

The Myth of Me Time
http://www.biblicalwomanhoodonline.com/article56.htm

B
Back to top Go down
Michael
Administrator
Michael

Help...Please Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help...Please   Help...Please EmptyFri Feb 08, 2008 1:53 pm

B. Morr wrote:

The Myth of Me Time
http://www.biblicalwomanhoodonline.com/article56.htm

B

Dag, son! I was reading that joint like silent

How many times have we said we needed a little "me" time?

Well, back to the ladies thread...lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Help...Please Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help...Please   Help...Please Empty

Back to top Go down

Help...Please
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
All of Grace :: The Gathering Place :: General Discussion-
Jump to: