All of Grace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
All of Grace

An online community where believers can come and be challenged, edified and equipped with the Word of God unto every good work.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

66 Books - Matthew 22:29, Psalm 1:2, Isaiah 40:8

Go down 
AuthorMessage
LaRosa
LaRosa

66 Books - Matthew 22:29, Psalm 1:2, Isaiah 40:8 Empty
PostSubject: 66 Books - Matthew 22:29, Psalm 1:2, Isaiah 40:8   66 Books - Matthew 22:29, Psalm 1:2, Isaiah 40:8 EmptyFri May 22, 2009 8:56 am

http://www.trailblazinministries.com/devotions/66-books-b-morr (click here if u wanna hear the accompanying song)

Artist: B. Morr
Song: 66 Books
Album: Self Denial

You know, one of the things that I enjoy most about the Bible is that it has been able to stand the test of time and any criticism that has come its way over the course of centuries. No matter what schemes people have come up with to disprove the validity of the Bible, there is always something unearthed that continues to prove the Bible to be true. What's more, I am left in awe when I look at how this canon of Scripture has been preserved and compiled into the 66 books that we currently have today. I absolutely love the Word of God and it is the world's bestselling book, period. Shoot, I can't even tell you how many Bibles I've been through over the course of my Christian life. But this is what we want to look at today, we want to discuss the sufficiency of Scripture, that is this bestseller that has endured throughout time.

There are passages all throughout the Bible that point to its status as the Word of God and it's enduring power, so let's take a look at just a few of them.

Quote :
Matthew 22:29 (ESV) - But Jesus answered them, "You are wrong, because you know neither the Scriptures nor the power of God.

Psalm 1:2 (ESV) - but his delight is in the law of the Lord, and on his law he meditates day and night.

Isaiah 40:8 (ESV) - The grass withers, the flower fades, but the word of our God will stand forever.

All of these are very powerful passages, but the point of these is not necessarily to point to the infallibility of Scripture, but to show the kind of delight that we should have in the Bible because of its power. Much like Isaiah 40:8 shows the Bible's staying power, we should also look at passages like 2 Peter 1:19-21 and 2 Timothy 3:16-17 which clearly show us the power of Scripture for teaching, doctrine, and correction. The Word is powerful and divine, and time has been the proof of that, but it means nothing if we don't have the right view of it.

For the atheist or agnostic, the power of the Word is nonexistent because they don't have the right view of God and the infallibility of Scripture. Many will look at it as simply a fairy tale full of stories, or an outdated book of morals that was good for the time, or just a good piece of historical writing. A lot of this belief hinges on the fact that they deny the deity of Jesus Christ as the eternal and living Son of God who was resurrected from the grave; if they choose to believe that, then they will have to take a different approach to the rest of Scripture, especially those numerous prophetic passages that pointed to Christ, as well as the epistles that teach us how to conduct ourselves as followers of Christ. This is the kind of idea that is depicted in Matthew 22:29; there are people who spend their whole life studying the Scriptures, yet still don't get it, and they simply cannot understand the power of Scripture. I remember a college professor I had freshman year, and he was one of the most knowledgeable people about the New Testament Scriptures, but the man was an agnostic. Why? Because he couldn't come to grips with the reality of the resurrection and the power of Scripture.

The Christian, who has been redeemed and enlightened to the power of Scriptures, should have a completely different mindset. We should be like the blessed man described in Psalm 1:2 whose delight is in the Word of God and meditates on it day and night. In other words, the believer should have a great appreciation for the Bible and all that is contained in it. Many have said that it is God's love letter to us, and with that in mind, we should be delighted to want to read the precious words that He has preserved for us throughout the course of time. Going back to 2 Timothy 3:16-17, we know that this book alone is profitable for doctrine, training, and correction; as a result of that, we should know that we can go to the Word in order to find the "meaning of life" and learn how we should live out our lives so that we can be pleasing in His sight. More than anything else (that's more than our significant other, or television, or anything), the Word should be our delight, and we should be like the Bereans (Acts 17:11) who were diligent to study to make sure all that they were taught was true. Want to be solid in doctrine? It's in the Bible! Want to know the history of man or the purpose to life? It's in the Bible! Want to know how to live your life and raise your children? It's in the Bible! Want a successful marriage? The answer is in the Bible!

Indeed this is the bestseller, and for those that find the power of God in it, it is so much more. If you're a Christian reading this, then you should cherish the words that are found within the pages of your Bible. Dive into the Word and fall in love with it all over again and know that it is God's message left to us. It has been preserved for us, so that we might know Him, and the only way we can know that is by reading it. More than anything else, the Bible is enough and all that we need in this life. Take time today to meditate on these passages and remember the words of Psalm 119:11. These 66 books are so amazing and continue to leave me amazed at just how awesome God is. Amen? Amen!
Back to top Go down

66 Books - Matthew 22:29, Psalm 1:2, Isaiah 40:8
Page 1 of 1