All of Grace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
All of Grace

An online community where believers can come and be challenged, edified and equipped with the Word of God unto every good work.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Antagonism

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
simply seth

simply seth

Antagonism Empty
PostSubject: Antagonism   Antagonism EmptyMon Feb 04, 2008 11:01 pm

Is there heated antangonism towards Reformed Theo ?

I was talkin' to a friend a mine and he almost cussed me out 'cause I was tryin to encourage him to study.
No
Back to top Go down
Marco

Marco

Antagonism Empty
PostSubject: Re: Antagonism   Antagonism EmptyTue Feb 05, 2008 1:34 am

Spurgeon once said, "Were all Armenian by nature". The doctrines of grace or reformed theology (which, encompasses much more then the doctrines of grace) has been, historically, one of the most hated doctrines.

While, its exciting to be introduced to these majestic truths, we must share them with grace & humility. For, it is us who proclaim, most gladly, that salvation is all of grace. In a like manner, we should be gracious and patient with others.

When I attended bible college in the bay area, I was introduced to reformed theology. I would not believe in nor acknowledge the sovereignty of God. But, this pastor who firmly believed in reformed theology, was gentle and gracious with me, even to the point of mockery. At one point, I stood up to him, dropped a pencil and said, "God ordained?".

It's important, while we emphasis the necessity of sound doctrine. That we also have a humble orthodoxy. This means with love and humility we gently lead those into the truth of the word of God. For, weren't we, at one point, in the very position they are in? I personally came out of the Health & Wealth movement. It was difficult, I didn't know any better. I, believe, most people are in similar circumstances. To tell people about the character of God that they have never been aware of before is humbling and difficult to accept.

My advice, is pray for maturity to handle the truths of God. I love what Pastor Macarthur says: The same sun that melts the clay, also hardens it.

In other words, the word of God has a dual effect, it can pierce our hearts or harden it. Let us not be a cause to harden anyone to the word of God by our over-zealousness.

Be Gracious and Loving.

Last edited by on Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
simply seth

simply seth

Antagonism Empty
PostSubject: Re: Antagonism   Antagonism EmptyTue Feb 05, 2008 1:54 am

Yeah I was trying to be a kinder calvnist.
But as gentle as I was , it was no match for aggressive , antogonistic anti-intellectualism.
Back to top Go down
Michael
Administrator
Michael

Antagonism Empty
PostSubject: Re: Antagonism   Antagonism EmptyTue Feb 05, 2008 11:55 am

marco wrote:
Spurgeon once said, "Were all Armenian by nature". The doctrines of grace or reformed theology (which, encompasses much more then the doctrines of grace) has been, historically, one of the most hated doctrines.

While, its exciting to be introduced to these majestic truths, we must share them with grace & humility. For, it is us who proclaim, most gladly, that salvation is all of grace. In a like manner, we should be gracious and patient with others.

When I attended bible college in the bay area, I was introduced to reformed theology. I would not believe in nor acknowledge the sovereignty of God. But, this pastor who firmly believed in reformed theology, was gentle and gracious with me, even to the point of mockery. At one point, I stood up to him, dropped a pencil and said, "God ordained?".

It's important, while we emphasis the necessity of sound doctrine. That we also have a humble orthodoxy. This means with love and humility we gently lead those into the truth of the word of God. For, weren't we, at one point, in the very position they are in? I personally came out of the Health & Wealth movement. It was difficult, I didn't know any better. I, believe, most people are in similar circumstances. To tell people about the character of God that they have never been aware of before is humbling and difficult to accept.

My advice, is pray for maturity to handle the truths of God. I love what Pastor Macarthur says: The same sun that melts the clay, also hardens it.

In other words, the word of God has a dual effect, it can pierce our hearts or harden it. Let us not be a cause to harden anyone to the word of God by our over-zealousness.

Be Gracious and Loving.

Well-stated. Great Spurgeon quote.
Back to top Go down
TEDDY P

TEDDY P

Antagonism Empty
PostSubject: Re: Antagonism   Antagonism EmptyTue Feb 05, 2008 5:29 pm

Great post Marco. You guys can ask B Tate and Benton (str8wisdom), I wasn't trying to hear none of this reformed nonsense. I too was like my man Mike, shouting and carrying on without any knowledge of who our Father really was. When I look back, it really boiled down to an issue of pride. The funny thing is my church (my pastor at least) holds to the doctrines of grace which over the years I didn't even realize because I was blinded at times by emotionalism and a lack of effort to study the scripts. I didn't believe but couldn't back myself up with any types of knowledge or proof. Thank God for His grace, changing and molding my heart to hear and obey His Word.
Back to top Go down
btate0121

btate0121

Antagonism Empty
PostSubject: Re: Antagonism   Antagonism EmptyWed Feb 06, 2008 12:40 pm

Same here... when i first heard about the reformed belief set... i was APPALLED!!! God would ELECT some and LET the rest go to HELL!?!? What kind of omniscient all loving caring God is THAT?

I was rudely awakened by the answer.....

That's not a god at all.. that's an idol man.....

ouch.. it hit me like a ton of brix.

God is ANGRY and SINNERS... not just the sin.... and he is JUST... and he is SOVEREIGN..... i have NO RIGHT to question anything anyways. how humbling that was... and how much or GLORIOUS God became to me!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Antagonism Empty
PostSubject: Re: Antagonism   Antagonism Empty

Back to top Go down

Antagonism
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
All of Grace :: The Gathering Place :: General Discussion-
Jump to: