All of Grace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
All of Grace

An online community where believers can come and be challenged, edified and equipped with the Word of God unto every good work.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Do you believe in infant baptism?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
str8wisdom

str8wisdom

Do you believe in infant baptism? Empty
PostSubject: Do you believe in infant baptism?   Do you believe in infant baptism? EmptyFri Jan 02, 2009 3:50 pm

I was talking to a brother in Christ the other day about this topic. Honestly, before my conversaion with him I always had a wrong view of what this meant. Since then I have done some reading and talking with others and have a better understanding but just wanted to know if anyone believes in this and scriptures they use to support that view. I would also like to hear from those that don't believe in this and why and what scriptures you use.

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Michael
Administrator
Michael

PostSubject: Re: Do you believe in infant baptism?   Do you believe in infant baptism? EmptyFri Jan 09, 2009 4:56 pm

I don't hold to infant baptism. Honestly, I think there is a lot of scriptural gymnastics that have to happen in order to support the position. For instance, they like to use the circumstance of the Philippian jailer and how his entire house was baptized. Well, it also says in that particular passage in Acts that they were taught the gospel and they believed. The assumption is that "entire household" would have included any infants. Well, one would actually have to assume that there were babies in that household. That's eisegesis, in my opinion.

While I don't have them right at my fingertips to reference right now, I would point to all the passages of Scripture that teach that believers are to be baptized, and work from there.

I think this is a place where the Reformers erred. There were some brilliant men in the Reformation, and they got a lot of stuff right, but the sacraments of baptism and communion (which I refer to as ordinances), along with a lot of the eschatology is where I often differ in view with the Reformed tradition.
Back to top Go down
str8wisdom

str8wisdom

PostSubject: Re: Do you believe in infant baptism?   Do you believe in infant baptism? EmptySat Jan 10, 2009 9:31 pm

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I'm going to have to do some more research. This is one area that I really have never studied. I have talked to a handful of people about it but have never sat down and studied, so you know what that means..........study time!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Do you believe in infant baptism?   Do you believe in infant baptism? Empty

Back to top Go down

Do you believe in infant baptism?
Page 1 of 1