All of Grace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
All of Grace

An online community where believers can come and be challenged, edified and equipped with the Word of God unto every good work.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Women in the church questions

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
str8wisdom

str8wisdom

Women in the church questions Empty
PostSubject: Women in the church questions   Women in the church questions EmptyWed Sep 17, 2008 9:52 am

I was reading 1 Timothy 2:8-15 today and got to the part where he talks about women. How is this set of scriptures supposed to be took today?

Quote :
8 I desire then that in every place the men should pray, lifting holy hands without anger or quarreling; 9 likewise also that women should adorn themselves in respectable apparel, with modesty and self-control, not with braided hair and gold or pearls or costly attire, 10 but with what is proper for women who profess godliness—with good works. 11 Let a woman learn quietly with all submissiveness. 12 I do not permit a woman to teach or to exercise authority over a man; rather, she is to remain quiet. 13 For Adam was formed first, then Eve; 14 and Adam was not deceived, but the woman was deceived and became a transgressor. 15 Yet she will be saved through childbearing—if they continue in faith and love and holiness, with self-control.

I ask because the word "I" is used here and also because of difference in times. Please feel free to use other scripture, I just used this as a starting point. I am only interested in what scripture says.

I appreciate the help fam!
Back to top Go down
Michael
Administrator
Michael

PostSubject: Re: Women in the church questions   Women in the church questions EmptyWed Sep 17, 2008 11:08 am

Hey bro,

I think the first thing we need to consider is that Peter referred to Paul's letters as Scripture in 2 Peter 3:16. So, unless a passage specifically identifies that Paul is speaking strictly from opinion, we must take his words as the very Word of God. So, even though he says "I" here, he speaks as a man who has the authority given to him by God to instruct the church in these matters of ecclesiology.

Also, if you look at Christianity compared to the culture of the times, Christianity actually allowed more freedom than other institutions. The fact that women were even allowed to learn in silence is a good thing. Many women were kept uneducated and made fearful of the men in society.

As far as modest dressing, I think that's still very relevant. While the braiding of hair is not considered sinful today, it was associated to pagan practices back in the day. So while the specificity of braided hair might not be applicable, the wearing of garments that keep with a woman's professed godliness is required.

God did not leave women out of the teaching roles altogether, though. She is able to teach her children as she raises them up, which is a tremendous endeavor. The older women in Titus 2 are also instructed to teach the younger women.

Gotta leave off here because my break is nearly over.
Back to top Go down
str8wisdom

str8wisdom

PostSubject: Re: Women in the church questions   Women in the church questions EmptyWed Sep 17, 2008 5:20 pm

Very very helpful Mike thanks. I hear so much from these verses I wanted to make sure I had the correct understanding of them. I hate it when people take scripture out of context so I want to make sure I'm note.

Again, Thanks fam!!!
Back to top Go down
Michael
Administrator
Michael

PostSubject: Re: Women in the church questions   Women in the church questions EmptyMon Jan 12, 2009 6:34 pm

My pastor has a bunch of lessons concerning this since we've been going to 1 Corinthians. You may want to check a few of them out at www.hopebiblechurch.org
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Women in the church questions   Women in the church questions Empty

Back to top Go down

Women in the church questions
Page 1 of 1