All of Grace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
All of Grace

An online community where believers can come and be challenged, edified and equipped with the Word of God unto every good work.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Slang and the Church - Do they mix?

Go down 
+2
Jewel
B. Morr
6 posters
AuthorMessage
B. Morr
B. Morr

Slang and the Church - Do they mix? Empty
PostSubject: Slang and the Church - Do they mix?   Slang and the Church - Do they mix? EmptyTue May 27, 2008 2:37 pm

Recently, I was having a conversation with some folks about modern slang terms and them being used in the church. Namely, in prayer to God. Long story short, many older (not too much older) folks are just not "down" with the notion of using alot of the new, modern, "urban" slang in church. Such terms that turn them off are as follows:

DOPE (ex: that sermon was dope)

BANGIN' (ex: its so bangin' to see young Christians fellowship regularly)

CHEA (expression of agreement or excitement) Hmmm....is this the new "amen?"

GET IT IN (ex: lets meet after church and get it in with the saints.)

BEEFY (ex: she is a beefy sister in the faith (meaning that she knows alot about the word and/or has an exemplarary walk before the Lord)

BEAST (ex: That cat is a beast on the drums)

There may be a couple more but lets just start here. I must admit that I myself find a degree of discomfort with using slang in the church setting. While I highly doubt its an abomination or anything, I struggle with whether or not we as intelligent beings can simply do better with how we are with our speech.

I particularly remember one time, I was at a HHH event and in a PRAYER the dude said "God, you're such a beast, Lord." Having endured and been fine with slang in the urban church setting for some time now, I felt at this point that a line was crossed. What do yall think?

B
Back to top Go down
Jewel

Jewel

PostSubject: Re: Slang and the Church - Do they mix?   Slang and the Church - Do they mix? EmptyTue May 27, 2008 2:55 pm

I think we must be OH, SO VERY CAREFUL not to "dumb down" our faith and how we see God and one another. It is a beautiful thing to have fellow brothers and sisters who believe in the TRUTH. Why would I call them a beast? Why would I use a narcotic to describe God and what He means to me? Christ is dope? REALLY?!?!?!?

Now, I know some people may say, "Well, you call God awesome. And awesome was/is a slangish type word". Hmmm...lets break the word down. AWE - Yeah...that right there sums it up for me. I am full of awe when I think about what He has done and who He is. But the fact that He saved me isn't DOPE!!!

Now, that is just my opinion. If you want to talk to one another like that, then hey...that's cool. But PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do not use slang when you are praying. That is SOOOO disrespectful and it offends me, someone who holds God in extremely high regards. He is my King, my Lord, my creator. He is not my cousin or my brother.
Back to top Go down
LaRosa
LaRosa

PostSubject: Re: Slang and the Church - Do they mix?   Slang and the Church - Do they mix? EmptyTue May 27, 2008 2:59 pm

i'm of the school that God is holy... so, i'm going to approach Him as such, and that means (most) of my slang gets left behind when i'm in the church building or in prayer (especially in prayer)... now, if i'm just in casual conversation or doing some kind of teaching, i'll use a bit of slang, but i still try to keep things on an intelligible level so as to give the Lord and His Word the proper respect that they are due

lj.
Back to top Go down
Michael
Administrator
Michael

PostSubject: Re: Slang and the Church - Do they mix?   Slang and the Church - Do they mix? EmptyTue Jul 01, 2008 12:49 pm

This topic came up again whilst "gettin' it in" after Fourth Fridays. I agree with everyone who has posted on this topic here. I think there's a certain level of reverence that should be thought of when approaching God or speaking of the things of God.
Back to top Go down
simply seth

simply seth

PostSubject: Re: Slang and the Church - Do they mix?   Slang and the Church - Do they mix? EmptyTue Jul 01, 2008 3:42 pm

Back to top Go down
Michael
Administrator
Michael

PostSubject: Re: Slang and the Church - Do they mix?   Slang and the Church - Do they mix? EmptyTue Jul 01, 2008 3:48 pm

simply seth wrote:

Uhhhhh, would you like to elaborate on that???? LOL
Back to top Go down
LaRosa
LaRosa

PostSubject: Re: Slang and the Church - Do they mix?   Slang and the Church - Do they mix? EmptyTue Jul 01, 2008 3:51 pm

simply seth wrote:

most profound thing i've read all day

lj.
Back to top Go down
Chema

Chema

PostSubject: Re: Slang and the Church - Do they mix?   Slang and the Church - Do they mix? EmptyTue Jul 01, 2008 4:19 pm

What up, fam, God bless you

The other day God gave me the opportunity to witness to this dude, he used to be a "cholo", his mom is Christian, and he said he goes to church once in a while.. he lives a few blocks from my house, and there is biblical study center by his house, so he told me he once went there and heard the teacher using slang (mexican slang, of course).. and dude told me "why do they gotta use slang?.. leave that to us (the unregenerate) otherwise, they are not showing any change, how are we going to take him seriously?" and man.. (from my point of view) he is right.. how are we going to show the world the Lord has changed us, if we are not showing it (even in the way we express ourselves) I really never liked hearing preachers or teachers use certain (slang) words.. to me is not reverencing the Lord the way we are supposed to..
Back to top Go down
Michael
Administrator
Michael

PostSubject: Re: Slang and the Church - Do they mix?   Slang and the Church - Do they mix? EmptyTue Jul 01, 2008 4:38 pm

Good point, Chema. Everyone nowadays is talking about contextualization, or "becoming all things to all men," but I think it's largely misunderstood as to what Paul meant. I don't think Paul meant we have to dress, talk or act a certain way to reach folks, but that we needed to understand the culture and engage them where they are with their beliefs. A perfect example of this was Paul at Mars Hill. Paul knew what the philosophers believed and reasoned with them from that understanding. But, he didn't become them in the sense that they were relativists.

I think contextualization is important, but we mustn't seek to contextualize to the point where we believe it's NECESSARY, you feel me? We need to preach the gospel and believe in the sovereignty of God.
Back to top Go down
simply seth

simply seth

PostSubject: Re: Slang and the Church - Do they mix?   Slang and the Church - Do they mix? EmptyTue Jul 01, 2008 5:19 pm

LaRosa wrote:
simply seth wrote:

lj.

I was finna say sumfin' .. but I chose not to
Back to top Go down
Michael
Administrator
Michael

PostSubject: Re: Slang and the Church - Do they mix?   Slang and the Church - Do they mix? EmptyTue Jul 01, 2008 5:38 pm

simply seth wrote:
LaRosa wrote:
simply seth wrote:

lj.

I was finna say sumfin' .. but I chose not to

Please share with us, bro-ham.
Back to top Go down
simply seth

simply seth

PostSubject: Re: Slang and the Church - Do they mix?   Slang and the Church - Do they mix? EmptyWed Jul 02, 2008 10:00 am

Quote :

Proverbs 17:28
Even a fool who keeps silent is considered wise;
when he closes his lips, he is deemed intelligent.

Slang and the Church - Do they mix? 385778

I want ya ta think me smart Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Slang and the Church - Do they mix?   Slang and the Church - Do they mix? Empty

Back to top Go down

Slang and the Church - Do they mix?
Page 1 of 1