All of Grace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
All of Grace

An online community where believers can come and be challenged, edified and equipped with the Word of God unto every good work.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Ring Size: Preference or Idolatry?

Go down 
+2
B. Morr
Michael
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Michael
Administrator
Michael

Ring Size: Preference or Idolatry? Empty
PostSubject: Ring Size: Preference or Idolatry?   Ring Size: Preference or Idolatry? EmptyFri May 16, 2008 10:47 am

What's up, fam?

Had an interesting conversation with some co-workers yesterday. One of the young ladies said that she wouldn't accept anything less than 3 carats for an engagement ring. Another said she wanted at least 2 carats. Another said she would take a 1 carat and hope for a bigger one later.

I was once engaged, and I bought my fiance a 1.5 carat princess cut engagement ring. So, this isn't about me thinking it's wrong to buy diamond rings...lol.

But, for Christian women, at what point does preference become idolatry?
Back to top Go down
B. Morr
B. Morr

PostSubject: Re: Ring Size: Preference or Idolatry?   Ring Size: Preference or Idolatry? EmptyFri May 16, 2008 12:42 pm

I'm definitely interested in the responses.....

Who were you engaged to? I didn't know that, Jack Putnam. pirat

You learn something new everyday.

To me, I still live by the same old fashion standards of ring buying for any man who is unconditionally loved by a woman and wants to marry HIM (not the ring)......and that is: YOU GET WHAT YOU GET!!!
Back to top Go down
Michael
Administrator
Michael

PostSubject: Re: Ring Size: Preference or Idolatry?   Ring Size: Preference or Idolatry? EmptyFri May 16, 2008 1:07 pm

Hmmmm, Where's Jewel???? LOL

Yeah, I was engaged before I was saved. I was engaged, but she wasn't. Yeah, one of those type things.
Back to top Go down
B. Morr
B. Morr

PostSubject: Re: Ring Size: Preference or Idolatry?   Ring Size: Preference or Idolatry? EmptyFri May 16, 2008 4:50 pm

Expositor wrote:
Hmmmm, Where's Jewel???? LOL

Yeah, I was engaged before I was saved. I was engaged, but she wasn't. Yeah, one of those type things.
Ahhh, I see, I see.
Back to top Go down
elboogee

elboogee

PostSubject: Re: Ring Size: Preference or Idolatry?   Ring Size: Preference or Idolatry? EmptyFri May 16, 2008 7:58 pm

What's Good family afro

I think this is an excellent question.

I don't think there is anything wrong with a big ring.

Me personally, I wouldn't want a big one. I really don't wear jewelry as is. ( I break out).

I'm leaning toward simplicity. Also those rings can really cut into a new couple's budget. I would rather put the money toward the stability of my marriage than spend the money on "bling". I'm also not feeling a big wedding. I just want a few sisters in Christ to dress me, sing with me, and pray over me before I go to the altar LOL!

I think what the ring stands for is more important than its size. But if you can afford it, and you like big jewelry, and you won't break out- Go 4 it!

To God be the glory cheers

Last edited by elboogee on Fri May 16, 2008 8:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
elboogee

elboogee

PostSubject: Re: Ring Size: Preference or Idolatry?   Ring Size: Preference or Idolatry? EmptyFri May 16, 2008 8:05 pm

for example

Although this is beautiful....

Ring Size: Preference or Idolatry? Rs6293_130_116

I would be very happy with this....

Ring Size: Preference or Idolatry? Engagement-Rings-Wedding-Rings
Back to top Go down
Michael
Administrator
Michael

PostSubject: Re: Ring Size: Preference or Idolatry?   Ring Size: Preference or Idolatry? EmptyFri May 16, 2008 8:36 pm

What I notice as a man is sometimes the ring becomes the focus of attention way too much. It's like the size of the ring enhances the goodness of the man who bought it. Something like:

"Oh, he's such a good man for her. He takes care of her kids like they were his own. He's there for her in every kind of way. And, did you SEE that HUGE rock? He must REALLY love her!"

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with a nice sized ring, but I do think there is a thin line between having a preference for something and that preference becoming idolatrous.

Btw, El, those are some nice rings!
Back to top Go down
loercase

PostSubject: Re: Ring Size: Preference or Idolatry?   Ring Size: Preference or Idolatry? EmptySun May 18, 2008 12:17 am

I'm actually looking to buy one for my future-fiancee. She was an simple traditional ring and is more concerned about the size of future mortgage payments than the size of the diamond. cheers
Back to top Go down
kritikul

kritikul

PostSubject: Re: Ring Size: Preference or Idolatry?   Ring Size: Preference or Idolatry? EmptyMon May 19, 2008 12:09 am

Consider this when you think about buying diamonds...

Ring Size: Preference or Idolatry? Bling

Then check out this video documentary:

CLICK HERE

Then ask yourself:

How many carrots do YOU wanna carry in yo' grill after finding out what it took to get it hurr?
Back to top Go down
B. Morr
B. Morr

PostSubject: Re: Ring Size: Preference or Idolatry?   Ring Size: Preference or Idolatry? EmptyMon May 19, 2008 10:15 am

kritikul wrote:

CLICK HERE

Then ask yourself:

How many carrots do YOU wanna carry in yo' grill after finding out what it took to get it hurr?
Awww man.....that's heavy.
Back to top Go down
Jewel

Jewel

PostSubject: Re: Ring Size: Preference or Idolatry?   Ring Size: Preference or Idolatry? EmptyMon May 19, 2008 10:23 am

How very interesting. I agree with El. I also am not into big rings (or big weddings, personally) but I dont' see ANYTHING wrong with it. I enjoy participating in big weddings and think huge diamonds are GORGEOUS! But, I can't see myself sporting a huge diamond, or dishing out tens of thousands of dollars on ONE DAY! But, that's just my preference. Personally, I don't even need a diamond at all. A simple band that shows the world that I AM TAKEN, SO LEAVE ME ALONE is all I need. Again, I do enjoy jewelry, and I actually would prefer something non-traditional, like...instead of a diamond, I could get an emerald ring or something (just cause I'm weird like that). But...again, I wouldn't be upset if my man got down on one knee and pulled out a plain band and asked me to marry him. I actually think I would like to have his & her matching wedding bands, or something really dainty.

Ring Size: Preference or Idolatry? Matchi10
Back to top Go down
kritikul

kritikul

PostSubject: Re: Ring Size: Preference or Idolatry?   Ring Size: Preference or Idolatry? EmptyMon May 19, 2008 2:28 pm

B. Morr wrote:
kritikul wrote:

CLICK HERE

Then ask yourself:

Awww man.....that's heavy.

Africa has had it rough for far too long. They need some relief. Seems like the entire world has their hands in this cookie jar of a country. Slavery, genocide, exploitation...all because of greed in the most brutal form. And to think...this is the "Mother Land", where the Garden of Eden once was.
Back to top Go down
B. Morr
B. Morr

PostSubject: Re: Ring Size: Preference or Idolatry?   Ring Size: Preference or Idolatry? EmptyMon May 19, 2008 2:56 pm

kritikul wrote:
And to think...this is the "Mother Land", where the Garden of Eden once was.
Very sobering thought....
Back to top Go down
elboogee

elboogee

PostSubject: Re: Ring Size: Preference or Idolatry?   Ring Size: Preference or Idolatry? EmptyMon May 19, 2008 5:09 pm

Jewel wrote:
Personally, I don't even need a diamond at all. A simple band that shows the world that I AM TAKEN, SO LEAVE ME ALONE is all I need. .

Ring Size: Preference or Idolatry? Matchi10

lol! Love it!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ring Size: Preference or Idolatry?   Ring Size: Preference or Idolatry? Empty

Back to top Go down

Ring Size: Preference or Idolatry?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
All of Grace :: The Gathering Place :: General Discussion-
Jump to: