All of Grace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
All of Grace

An online community where believers can come and be challenged, edified and equipped with the Word of God unto every good work.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Worship...

Go down 
+2
B. Morr
elboogee
6 posters
AuthorMessage
elboogee

elboogee

Worship... Empty
PostSubject: Worship...   Worship... EmptySun Apr 27, 2008 4:25 pm

What's Good Brethren afro

I was thinking... Ever since I've come into reformed theology, my worship has changed

I guess I have become anti-charismatic pentecostal because that's the way I was brought up and now that I
no longer adhere to the teachings of that kind of church (WOF) I don't worship God the way I use to

For example- I love to dance, I'm expressive when I worship God in church, I kneel and I sing LOUD! However lately I've been sitting too much. I'm scared my new understanding of scripture is making me a bit pharasaic-Self-Righteous Ya'know whatImean:?: I need to find a balance, I feel like I'm not giving the KING His due. I don't want to be "jumping over pews" but I don't want feel like I'm not giving God.... what I want to give God.

*sigh* Ya'll feel me!

Anyone struggle with freedom in worship... because you don't want to "appear" jocolor

To God be the Glory cheers
Back to top Go down
B. Morr
B. Morr

Worship... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Worship...   Worship... EmptyMon Apr 28, 2008 9:54 am

Wow. I know how you feel. I think many others on this board can probably relate to that as well.
Back to top Go down
Jewel

Jewel

Worship... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Worship...   Worship... EmptyMon Apr 28, 2008 10:33 am

I definitely can relate. I guess we need to stop being self-conscious. When we think about what we DESERVE and think about what God has actually given us, it automatically triggers an emotional response. I don't think its wrong to express that, or pretend that God's grace isn't something to dance about. IT IS! And anyone who tells you that "all that ain't necessary" hasn't really allowed themselves to come face-to-face with what our end SHOULD have been. Man! People have no problem screaming until they're blue in the face, if their football team is winning. They can dance along with the cheerleaders, chanting, "Go team Go!" But we can't sing and dance and shout about the fact that we've been saved from an eternal separation from God. And its nothing we did to deserve it! Man, that's enough to run around the parking lot screaming, HOLY HOLY HOLY IS THE LORD!!!!
Back to top Go down
Michael
Administrator
Michael

Worship... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Worship...   Worship... EmptyMon Apr 28, 2008 12:02 pm

I grew up in a "Black Church" most all of my life. Much of the worship seemed to be just emotion and lacking true reverence for God and His holiness. I'm not saying all of it was, but much of it. But this is all I knew about worship. It's what I had grown accustomed to.

But, back in December of '06, I left that church and started attending a church where the demographic was much more diverse. The theology was vastly different as well.

My understanding of what true worship entailed changed. I used to think that the clapping of hands, dancing in the aisles and running laps around the church were not just cool to do, but NECESSARY. Many times my old pastor would instruct the entire church to do these things. If you didn't do them, you were looked at as less than a worshiper.

True worship begins in the heart of the believer, as they are affected by the truth of the gospel. It may show itself in different forms depending on the individual. I don't think any of us have a right to tell someone to worship a certain way. However, we must also be careful that our worship doesn't stray into pure emotionalism. I also believe there is a "decently and in order" factor. We don't want to do anything to disrupt the sanctity of worship or cause the spotlight to be on US.
Back to top Go down
loercase

Worship... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Worship...   Worship... EmptyMon Apr 28, 2008 12:46 pm

My church is listed a Pentecostal, we tell people we are Pentecostal, but one visitor looking into our worship thought we were Presbyterians (not knock on the presbyters, but this is what the person said to me).

I like the way my pastor has lead us in this regard. He's taught that we have to worship with our emotions, but not only our emotions... in fact our entire being. He will not stifle/restrain anyone's emotional response to God unless it is a disruption to the congregation - so no running in the aisles. The strong caution, as Expo put it, is to not be led by emotions, but always be lead by the Spirit.
Back to top Go down
deadmanwalking

deadmanwalking

Worship... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Worship...   Worship... EmptyMon Apr 28, 2008 7:28 pm

Actaully, I feel turned off my emotional services where GOD is not present. I start seeing people running, shouting, falling out and carrying on an I know GOD's not there? I just get mad grieved....I just sit down in frustration...

I mean, I may be going out on a limb with this, but I believe that if His sheep know His voice, then His sheep should be able to know if he's there or not. I mean, I know GOD is omnipresent, but I mean, like HE's not there in the sense that He's not the one orchestrating the service...people are being led by emotion and not Spirit.

That bothers the mess out of me...but other than that, I love to worship and sing...i've never been a big jumper. But I love singing at the top of my lungs for some slow jams....even though I can't sing for nothing...but the music is loud enough that no one can tell.... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
B. Morr
B. Morr

Worship... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Worship...   Worship... EmptyMon Apr 28, 2008 9:30 pm

While I'm not a fan of laps around the church, I've run up a basketball court because of God blessing someone else. I wasn't "out of my mind" and I knew what I was doing. Just couldn't really think of any other way to express how happy I was for that person at the time......other than run up the court real quick. And I shouted "thank you Lord. Lord, you're awesome!" And that was it. It was a bunch of dudes from church and the court we play at is in the middle of nowhere so its always just us Sundays after church. I was already in my ballin' clothes and I was already at the basketball court so I didn't go there FOR that reason. LOL But it was either take off running or.....punch him in his chest or jump up and down with - hmmm....I guess I could have just jumped up and down. But at any rate, that's all that was. It was no big emotional high, I wouldn't say. We had just been praying for him in a certain situation for almost a year and the Lord answered more than we thought He would. I mean, I agree with Jewel. It sounds a little corny in a way and I know mad pentecostal preachers say it to make a point and get a rise out of folk, but when March MADNESS comes around, dudes are SCREAMING at a dag on television screen. Don't let the gray haired, glasses wearing, tight pants wearing, "slow-to-get-up-the-court" refs make a bad call. A large roar will errupt from the room. So yeah, I know how it sounds.....however, when people talk about God's mercy.....THAT gets my heart, yo. When I think about God's mercy and how it was bestowed on a pitiful sinner like me.....and when cats rhyme about how merciful God was/is.....when He looked down on ME and had pity - even when I was WILLINGLY doing and loving things He hates, He still had mercy and saved me. This can bring me to tears or cause me to scream in thanks and humble happiness.

I believe (like Expo) there is a decency and order to worship. Or praise, for that matter. (A question of ignorance: How do yall feel about David's dancing, and it being undiginified and all? I don't feel like this is a green light for us to run laps around the SANCTUARY and fall out and whatnot....but what say ye?) I just think that people are not worshipping OR praising the God of the bible. They're worshipping or praising a God that they or their leaders have made up, sadly. One who is (and its been like a dumb amount of years already) about to bless you. And about to give you your breakthrough. And about to release blah, blah, blah....And if you're going through hard times you gotta "praise your way out of it." Scripture shows us that worship starts with God. Him being gracious enough to even give us a mind to do ANYTHING God-ward. The question is (and I'm so stealing this) when we're all done with worship service, with whatever we've done in that time, how do we know that God has been pleased by what we've done with that time? How do we know that we're leaving and God was glorified? Our answers are found in scripture.....not in our hoarse voices or sweaty blouses and shirts and sweat stained suits (man you gotta sweat hard to sweat through a suit). I've seen people leave church looking like they been in a fight - and they lost, big time - and they swear up and down they had an awesome time in the Lord. Yeah, but was GOD glorified? I don't wanna relate it to - - -, by its like, people go to church and do their dancing and shouting and its like, "well, I got mine." "Excuse my being colorful..." How do we know if what we've done has been pleasing TO THE LORD, not ourselves? If our emotions are rooted in biblical truth, I don't see any problem with dancing a little or throwing your hands up in praise to God. However, most - actually, all of my dancing happens when NO ONE is around. Hehehe. And I ain't talking about pentecostal huck-a-buck shouting. I won't describe it. Its between me and God. But I feel DMW. I love to scream at the top of my lungs (when the music's loud in a service) so no one can hear me. God forbid they do the thing when they cut the music....LOL pale

Overall, if you can find a song that is biblical (which most songs aren't these days) then hey.....but if not, I wouldn't recommend a bunch of showy outward expressions on a song that just sounds good but is mad unbiblical. To be honest, sometimes hymns get me hyped but because its not that kind of music, I try to calm myself down. Embarassed For the most part, out of me, you'll probably get a bunch of tears or just fist pumping and smiling. That's about it. Here are just a few songs that have overwhelmed me emotionally over the years:

In Christ Alone - Newboys (I think) Almost lost it when they did this at Epiphany. It was the first time I'd ever heard it.
Liberation - Timothy Brindle (the line that ALWAYS gets me is "and I'm praising Jesus. Cause He redeemed and freed me when I was enslaved in Egypt." WOW That is mercy, man.
The World Needs Jesus - Everyday Process (cried a little bit the first time I heard it)
Apostasy - Christcentric (cried a little bit the first time I heard this too)
What Do You See? - Cross Movement (definitely shed some tears thinking about the beating and death of my savior)
Off Da Hook - Cross Movement (Yeah.....I think this was the first holy hip hop song that I heard and I balled my eyes out. "I bled, all because I love you. They killed me instead, all because I love you." AAAHHHHH!!!)
Give Us The Truth - FLAME (Umm....yeah, anybody who's grown up in traditional church and has been brought from that to reformed theology (I hope I'm not offending anyone) can relate to this song. This joint was so liberating and refreshing.)
The Excellency of Christ - Timothy Brindle (Son.....if you don't feel SOMETHING listening to this song.....)
And Yes, of course, sound, biblical preaching gets me excited as well. But most of is is convicting and therefore, some extreme showings of emotions are out of place. The time calls for brokenness, tears and humility. As we pitifully are driven back to the cross in thanks and reverance.

I could go on for a minute, but I'll digress right about now.

B
Back to top Go down
elboogee

elboogee

Worship... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Worship...   Worship... EmptyWed Apr 30, 2008 10:32 pm

Cool Beans Fam! afro

Thanks for your feedback

for me right now the key word is "Balance".

I know how many of you feel about the emotionalism of many charismatic churches. I get frustrated too, but I'm scared my frustration is feeding my already arrogant heart. affraid

I need to WORSHIP MY GOD!!!

I need to serenade HIM!

I need to kneel and weep!

I need to sing psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs!

I need to witness scratch

I need to share the gospel more scratch

Well... lets see how it goes- I pray the Lord leads me into deeper Worship- deeper adoration. Something he can be pleased with and something that has nothing to do with "attention-loving elboogee". I don't want to be caught with lack-luster affections toward the King of Glory

Btw- Jewel- excellent post, sis.

Okay- now, I'm just talking too much - Its late- time for me to Sleep

To God be the Glory cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Worship... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Worship...   Worship... Empty

Back to top Go down

Worship...
Page 1 of 1