All of Grace
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
All of Grace

An online community where believers can come and be challenged, edified and equipped with the Word of God unto every good work.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

communicable/non-communicable

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
simply seth

simply seth

communicable/non-communicable Empty
PostSubject: communicable/non-communicable   communicable/non-communicable EmptyWed Mar 26, 2008 1:50 pm

Is it safe to say that there are communicable and non-communicable attributes of God ?

I'm my feeble understanding raising the dead, casting out demons and calling things into existence are non-communicable attributes of God

scratch
Back to top Go down
kritikul

kritikul

PostSubject: Re: communicable/non-communicable   communicable/non-communicable EmptyWed Mar 26, 2008 3:13 pm

I'd say that it's a biblical belief that God has uncommunicable traits. Their mystery can only be described through what we can manage to understand, not from knowledge.
Back to top Go down
simply seth

simply seth

PostSubject: Re: communicable/non-communicable   communicable/non-communicable EmptyWed Mar 26, 2008 4:58 pm

kritikul wrote:
I'd say that it's a biblical belief that God has uncommunicable traits. Their mystery can only be described through what we can manage to understand, not from knowledge.

Cool Cool
Back to top Go down
Michael
Administrator
Michael

PostSubject: Re: communicable/non-communicable   communicable/non-communicable EmptyWed Mar 26, 2008 5:32 pm

Yeah, stuff like His omniscience, omnipresence, omnipotence, immutability, sovereignty, infinite wisdom are all incommunicable.
Back to top Go down
simply seth

simply seth

PostSubject: Re: communicable/non-communicable   communicable/non-communicable EmptyThu Mar 27, 2008 10:54 am

Cool study coool .. that's what I thought
Back to top Go down
TwistTim

PostSubject: Re: communicable/non-communicable   communicable/non-communicable EmptyThu Mar 27, 2008 11:54 am

this thread reminds me, I need to read more of Wayne Grudam's "Bible Doctrine" (Short version of his Systematic Theology), as this is the chapter I left off at....
"Communicable Attributes of God" that is, the things that can be experienced in ourselves that we share with God...... these would be Truth, Justice, Love, Mercy(and Grace), Forgiveness, Spirit (We have one, He is one).... though we are not always these things... we sometimes are these things, and we can be these things.... as we grow in Holiness (another one), we grow in these areas and leave their anti-'s behind... (Falsehood, Purjury, Hatred, Unforgiveness).......

and there are even things that are viewed as either Communicable or Incommunicable depending on how you define the categories.... such as His omnipresence.... His omnipotence.... for we know in part, as he knows in whole, and we exist in part as he exists in whole.....

but things like Atemporal existence beyond the flow of time and space.... we are not able to share in that.... for we have a finite, fixed beginning, He does not... He exisited before the beginning of the beginning..... even when we are translated to heaven, we will still have a beginning......
other things to like ability to be perfectly perfect, we will always lack, but He is never in short supply...... so we don't share that.... as we are sinful creatures till we die, even after death.... we are still not God.....

{what my overtaxed under slept brain thought you were getting in the morning was.......

There are things outside of Divine Revaltion we can know about God, such as He is a Creator... and he gave us internally a sense of right and wrong (Not having the Law, their conscience is a law unto themselves) these are things that given there's a God, these must be characteristics of Him

but specific Revelation things.... like his Name is YWHW (I am that I am) and his son is Jesus and that He has a specific set of laws.... and that He is our Redeemer who is also our Judge..... those are the Incommunicable Attributes.... }

hope that helps.... if not, Wane Grudam's Systematic Theology can help better...

I have to leave soon...... will be gone by the time you read this....

coming back later.... scrap what I said....

not that it's out of whack.... it's just off track..... so it will stand in bracket's {}... with a few editing remarks......
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: communicable/non-communicable   communicable/non-communicable Empty

Back to top Go down

communicable/non-communicable
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
All of Grace :: Theology :: General Theology-
Jump to: